It seems like one of the biggest trends over the past couple of years is uber long, beautiful locks. Especially SHINY, uber long, beautiful locks. My natural hair color is a very dull ash brown, and I’ve tried so many products to give my hair a really shiny look. Then, a couple of days ago I decided to see if I could find a home remedy that could help me out with my problem! I tested out a couple of home remedies like the hair masks, and the mayonnaise, and I got results from both of them. Although, I will admit the process wasn’t very appealing. I smelt like mayo for about a day, but it did work..! So, if you reallyy want results I’ll just warn you now, it might not exactly be pleasant. Haha, beauty is pain.(;
Mayo is a natural conditioner, and conditioned hair is the key to shiny hair. After using this product my hair was a lot shinier and softer, although it did smell pretty bad, not gunna lie. I would still use mayonnaise again, though!
- Smear mayonnaise all through your hair especially towards the end and middle of hair. (Tip: If you have an oily scalp don’t put as much mayonnaise near the scalp area, because it will make hair appear greasy. Not cute.)
- Wrap hair in in a shower cap or towel.
- Keep it on for about an hour.
- Shampoo your hair! (I shampoo’d my hair twice to get the smell out!)
- Style as usual.
Egg & Milk Hair Mask:
This is a wayy more pleasant way to get shine. Milk and eggs have lots of calcium that really helps to amp up the shine in your hair. This is almost guaranteed to work, for any hair type!
- Get 2 eggs and a half cup of milk.
- Mix the eggs and milk together until they’re evenly blended.
- Work the mixture into your hair.
- Cover with a towel or shower cap, and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair, as you normally would.
- Style as usual.
Yogurt Hair Mask:
Not only is yogurtgood for your hair it’s also great for your skin! Yogurt is also a natural conditioner and adds loads of shine to the hair. Also, the egg and lemon juice in the mask add LOADS of extra shine! (Tip: you can even just use lemon juice to add shine by rinsing your hair with it after a shampooing/conditioning your hair, and styling it as usual.)
- You’ll need: 1 cup yogurt, 2 tbs lemon juice, and 1 egg.
- Mix ingredients until smooth.
- Apply(AFTER SHAMPOOING) all over hair, leave on for about 20-25 mins.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water (not hot water because egg can scramble.)
- Condition and style as usual.
Aloe Vera Gel Hair Treatment:
It’s said that Aloe Vera Gel helps: hair growth, frizz, prevents dandruff, and makes hair shine like crazy!
- Shampoo your hair, as you normally would.
- Mix 1 part aloe vera gel with 1 part honey and 4 part conditioner.
- Microwave mixture for about 15 seconds to get it warm.
- Put all through hair especially on the ends.
- Wrap hair in a towel or shower cap. Leave on for 30 mins or even overnight.
- Rinse your hair, but DO NOT SHAMPOO.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is probably the oldest trick in the book as far as using it to get shiny hair, goes. It also makes hair very soft which is a plus! 🙂
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo as you normally would.
- Mix 1/8 spoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of honey, together.
- Massage the mixture throughout your hair.
- Rinse hair with warm water.
- Style as usual.
Other Helpful Tips To Get Shiny Hair:
- Gently squeeze and blot your hair when towel-drying it, don’t rub. Roughly rubbing the hair makes it more fragile and the friction roughens up your hair cuticles.
- Always use a heat resistant product when blow drying/curling/straightening your hair. It helps prevent breakage. Less damage = more shine.
- Avoid brushing your hair when it is wet, because hair is very fragile and way more likely to break.
- Get your hair trimmed every 6 weeks! Trimming your hair also helps hair grow.
- Drinking lots of water helps your hair to be more shiny because it’s hydrated.